Instructed by Michael McManus, Certified Nose Work Instructor.
All times are in Central Time.
Intro to K9 Nose Work®:
K9 Nose Work® is an exciting activity for pet dogs and their owners, modeled after detection training for narcotics or bomb dogs. Whether for competition or recreation, dogs gain many benefits from an opportunity to hunt, "be a dog," and grown their confidence, independence, and probelm solving.
This class is a 6 week series. If you cannot make 1-2 of the series, contact me to discuss options.
- Zoom. You can download Zoom here: https://zoom.us/download
- A device (or devices) with a camera that can show your search area during class. Most phones and laptops work well.
- Internet strong and stable enough to stream the class.
- Wireless headphones so that you can hear instruction while you are working with your dog (away from your device).
- High value treats and/or toys.
- 10+ open containers (amazon boxes, buckets, opaque tupperwear, etc.). The container needs to be short and wide enough that the dog can put their head in. In in-person classes we use these buckets, but they are not manditory: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Behrens-2-5-Quart-Paint-Bucket/50114845
- For the other "objects" needed in class, we can use things you have around your house - chairs/stools, tarps, xpens, blankets/towels, etc. Xpens are particularly useful for nose work. If you do not already have one, they are worth getting. Facebook marketplace often has them, as does chewy.com. The suggested items for class will vary from week to week.